Almond Crust (Gluten-Free Pie Crust)
Graham cracker crusts can be a crunchy, delicious part of an ice cream or pudding pie. But if you are gluten-intolerant, a graham crust can make those desserts off limits.
For my father’s recent birthday, I created a version he could enjoy using almond meal. I think my kids loved the nutty, crunchy crust even more than he did! This is a great option for any dessert in which you wish to play up the nutty flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (can use almond meal for a heartier crust)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (see note)
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Then add butter or coconut oil and water.
- Knead dough until well combined. Then press the dough into a 9-inch pie plate, working the mixture up the sides.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely.
- If a recipe calls for an unbaked pie shell, chill the dough until ready to proceed.
You may omit the sugar if you wish to use this crust for a savory recipe.