Asiago cheese is a wonderful alternative to Parmesan and ramps up the flavor of simply roasted asparagus beautifully. This is one of those easy side dishes that doesn’t taste easy! Lemon slices make a pretty garnish.
- asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- about 1/2 cup asiago cheese per bunch of asparagus, or to taste
- lemon slices, optional
- Place asparagus on a greased baking sheet and coat lightly with olive oil. I like to use my olive oil mister. You want just enough to make the salt and pepper stick but not enough to make it soggy. Sprinkle asparagus with the salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees. Depending on thickness, this could take anywhere between 6-12 minutes. Don't hesitate to prick the thick end with the tip of a knife to check. The asparagus should be slightly undercooked at this point.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with asiago cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes, watching closely, or until cheese is melted and turning golden brown.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice overtop and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.