Chicken and Spinach Parmesan Pizza
When we eat this pizza, I feel as though we are enjoying a gourmet pizza that took minutes to prepare. It happens to be a favorite of my 14-year-old son, who is usually all about pepperoni pizza! Typically, I love a good saucy pizza–meaning the tomato version. This white sauce, however, is quick, easy and really delicious. I also like that it is infinitely lighter and healthier than most Alfredo-type sauces available in a jar.
As much as I like to make my own pizza crust, there are many excellent store bought options and they work beautifully and allow for big time savings. The one pictured above is a crust I found in the bakery section of our local grocery store and it was delicious.
This white sauce can be whipped up in minutes and is much tastier and healthier than a typical jarred variety. Sometimes, I go a little heavier on the spinach or use kale. Sautéed mushrooms also compliment the flavors of this pizza beautifully.
- 1 cooked pizza crust (about 1 pound, see note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (could use butter)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup milk (I usually use non-fat; 1%, 2% or whole will work)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups lightly packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie is a quick option)
- 1/4 cup chopped or slivered red onion
- 1/2-1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add flour and pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring the whole time. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove pan from the heat and add the Parmesan, stirring until melted. (If the sauce seems thick, stir in more milk, a tablespoon at a time until thick but easily spreadable. This can happen if the flour is packed down in the measuring spoon or the sauce cooks an extra minute or two.)
- Spread the cheese mixture onto the pizza crust.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach is a small microwaveable bowl with about a teaspoon of water and cook for 30 seconds or until just wilted. Drain any excess liquid but there is no need to squeeze dry.
- Top the cheese mixture with the spinach, chicken and onion. Then sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on a pizza stone or baking sheet for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is golden.
If you prefer to use an uncooked pizza crust, simply bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes.