Gorgonzola Tomato Salad
Prepare this flavorful dressing ahead and you will have a delicious salad ready in a flash. Perfect as a dip or as a salsa over grilled steak or chicken, I also like using this dressing on Grilled Romaine and Prosciutto Salads. The use of Greek yogurt allows for a thick, delicious option to your favorite blue cheese dressing with less fat and calories…plus protein!
Any remaining dressing is perfect drizzled over a big dinner salad topped with leftover grilled steak or chicken for an easy dinner later in the week.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup (a 6-ounce cup) plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani non-fat for this dressing)
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (or blue cheese of choice)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (If I’m in a hurry I sometimes skip this)
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper (I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and a few turns of the pepper grinder, but use how much you like)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- Buttermilk for thinning to desired consistency (about 1-3 tablespoons)
- Tomato grapes, amount based on number being served (approximately 4 servings per pint)
- Chopped chives or parsley, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt, Worcestershire, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the blue cheese and chives, then add a little buttermilk to reach your preferred consistency. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, cut the amount of tomatoes you wish to use in halves or quarters.
- Toss the tomatoes with the dressing to coat and sprinkle with additional herbs, if desired.
It is a good idea to keep the dressing on the thick side as the juice from the tomatoes will thin it slightly. You can thin more for use as a dressing on tossed salads if you like.