I discovered this easy and delicious treat while trying to use chocolate leftover from my Easter candy-making ritual last year. (Follow these links for the best-ever Peanut Butter and Coconut Cream Eggs…highlights from the original Fountain Avenue Kitchen!!) If you like the salty-sweet combination, this one is for you!
- 1 1/4 pounds dark melting chocolate (or milk chocolate, if you prefer)
- bag of mini pretzels (I use the minis that are the traditional pretzel shape)
- mini M&Ms
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or foil. Place pretzels side by side all over the bottom of the pan. I make one layer, but if you want more pretzel chunks you could certainly use more. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments until completely smooth. Completely cover pretzels with melted chocolate, then lightly scatter mini M&M's across surface of chocolate. Refrigerate to harden. Cut or break into pieces once firm.
- I like to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, although the bark freezes well, too.
- Cold bark is easy to break if you like randomly-sized pieces. Beware: chocolate shards tend to fly! I like to let the cold bark sit at room temperature for a little while and then cut it with a large chef's knife. This is a good way to get evenly-sized pieces, and the chocolate is less likely to crack when it isn't refrigerator cold.