Nutty Coconut Pumpkin Smoothie
Stocked with fresh pumpkin puree and having recently made pumpkin pancakes, muffins, and baked oatmeal, my mind turned to smoothies. My first thought was to combine pumpkin and fresh orange juice to keep the color bright and add natural sweetness. But guess what? No oranges. No orange juice either!
We have been on a cider kick lately, and cider would also have provided great flavor and natural sweetness. However, I also love the flavor of coconut with pumpkin and had a half-used can of coconut milk in my fridge…
I went with the coconut option, but I mention my other thoughts because I think they would each provide a little something different yet taste delicious with the pumpkin and other ingredients. Smoothies are the type of thing to which I enjoy adding a little of this and a little of that.
If using juice–and depending on personal preference–you may not need additional sweetener. Taste and add accordingly. While I used almond butter this time, you could use peanut butter instead!
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain Greek yogurt (could use vanilla for sweeter smoothie)
- 1 banana (I used fresh this time but could use frozen)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (could use peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or to taste (honey or stevia are good substitutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional garnishes: cinnamon, flaked coconut
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender and blend again briefly.
- Check for sweetness, adding more maple syrup, if desired.
- Garnish with cinnamon and/or coconut, pour and enjoy!
This recipe was shared with Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen.