This is the perfect summertime, non-alcoholic drink. It makes a special beverage for kids or adults who prefer “unleaded”, as my dad would say. A convenient option to blender drinks, this slush is prepared in advance and stored in the freezer until ready to use. Entertaining made easy!
Depending on the size of your group, you may double the recipe or break down the existing recipe into two containers and use over time. If you do want a “leaded” version, your favorite vodka or (my favorite in fruity drinks) Malibu rum, work well.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry-flavored Jell-O
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 (2 liter) bottle citrus-flavored carbonated beverage (I like Fresca, but Sprite, 7-Up, or even ginger ale work well)
- Bring the sugar, water, and Jell-O to a boil in a large saucepan; boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pineapple, lemon, and orange juice.
- Pour the mixture into a large, freezable container and freeze. (This is best done the day before serving but will keep in the freezer for weeks.)
- When ready to serve, remove the container from the freezer 15-20 minutes ahead of time. Break up the frozen slush with a fork, and then combine the contents of the container with the carbonated beverage in a punch bowl. Stir until slushy and enjoy!
- I also like to freeze in several smaller containers that will fit in a large pitcher and serve that way.