Avocados and bananas have a lot in common. When you need to buy them for immediate use, they always seem to be rock hard and green. And then, once ripe, plans sometimes change and they’re overripe before you know it. There’s a multitude of delicious ways to ensure overripe bananas don’t go to waste–and they can be peeled and frozen for later use. Not so much with avocados.
This vibrant salad is an express lunch (read: quicker than a drive-thru!) that will stick with you until dinner, and it’s an ideal way to reap all the benefits of a ripe, heart-healthy avocado. I first threw this together after Easter last year. We were swimming in brightly decorated hard boiled eggs and I had an abundance of avocados for guacamole that I never made. For both its taste and ease, it has become reason to keep an avocado or two on my weekly grocery list. It’s also an ideal way to use the occasional leftover avocado half from the previous night’s dinner.
With its excellent base of complete protein, healthy fats, and colorful veggies, this speedy salad bowl is perfect in its simplicity but can be used as a flexible framework given personal preference and the ingredients you have on hand.
Yields 2 medium servings or one hearty serving.
- 2 cups chopped spinach, baby kale, or greens of choice (use more as desired)
- Balsamic vinaigrette (I love [this recipe|http://fountainavenuekitchen.com/favorite-balsamic-vinaigrette/])
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 an avocado, chopped
- 1/2 a red bell pepper (or color of choice), diced
- In a medium bowl, toss the greens with a couple teaspoons of the vinaigrette. Remove to serving plate.
- In the same bowl, mash the egg and the avocado together. I like to mash so the mixture is a little creamy but still chunky.
- Scoop onto the greens, and scatter the red pepper overtop. Drizzle with another teaspoon of the vinaigrette and or sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, if desired.
And a couple more ways to enjoy hard boiled eggs:
Prep-Ahead Open-Faced Egg Sandwiches (with a simple gluten-free option)
Deviled Egg Spread — make a meal out of the the classic stuffed egg!
Avocado Egg Salad — enjoy this healthy recipe as a salad, in a wrap, or as a dip