With the bananas and whole wheat flour, I like to think of this dessert as two-thirds healthy! It is 100% delicious and the perfect way to keep over-ripe bananas from going to waste!
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 bananas, mashed (about 1 1/3 cups-1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons milk
For Streusel Topping
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Stir streusel topping together in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and egg in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in bananas and milk.. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spread half the batter into a greased 8x8-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with half the streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel and bake in a 350 degree oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 45 minutes. (I always check about five minutes early since oven cook times vary...this will prevent baked goods from becoming dry.)
- Cool cake in pan on rack. This cake tastes best when fully cooled, even though it's tempting to dig right in...which is how I know this!
The Fountain Avenue Kitchen http://fountainavenuekitchen.com/