*You could mince the pepper before adding it to the cheese mixture. I like the look and the flavor pop of the thin slices. Also, if making a big batch, those who prefer less spice can easily pick them out. Similarly, you can remove the seeds and veins for flavor with little heat.
Prep-ahead tip: The cheese spread may be scaled up and stored in the refrigerator for a week or more for a meal or snack at the ready. For easier spreading, let the mixture sit at room temperature for a few minutes before using to soften.
To scale up – 4x the recipe:
• ½ cup(40g) grated Parmesan cheese
• ½ cup (56g) shredded Mexican blend, mozzarella, or a medium cheddar cheese
• 4 tablespoons (56g) salted butter, softened to room temperature
• 40 to 60 thin slices serrano or jalapeño pepper*
• 8 slices white, sourdough, or whatever bread you enjoy for toast (GF if needed)