- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar; plain white vinegar may be used)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salad oil (olive, avocado, grapeseed, and canola oil, all work well)
- 6 ounces baby spinach or mixed greens of choice
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds and/or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Mix all the dressing ingredients in blender until thick and well blended, about a minute.
Store in the refrigerator.
Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl (or plate individually), drizzle with the dressing, and toss to combine.
- I have also mixed a batch with a whisk after mincing the onions. This is a fine option if you do not have a blender.
- The dressing will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. The recipe may be cut in half, if desired.
- I find the dressing well suited for a basic spinach and strawberry salad and almost anything with fruit, nuts, and cheese. The slight sweetness is also a welcome contrast to bitter greens and vegetables such as broccoli and radishes.
the fountain avenue kitchen https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/