- 1 large ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (I like red onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice*
- ⅛ teaspoon each ground cumin and kosher salt**
- A pinch (1/16 teaspoon) cayenne pepper
*When I don’t have a lime on hand, I use apple cider vinegar instead and it works quite well. Also, too much lime juice can overpower. I’ve played with the amount and find that 1½ to 2 teaspoons, based on precise size of avocado, is perfect. I recommend going light and adding an extra squeeze if desired.
**Sufficient seasoning is key to great tasting guac. For one avocado, I find that somewhere between ⅛-¼ teaspoon of kosher salt is perfect. So as not to overdo it, start with ⅛ teaspoon and add an extra pinch or two to taste.