- 2 pounds yellow fleshed potatoes, like Yukon gold, peeled if desired and cut into 1-inch chunks*
- 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 (6-inch) sprig fresh rosemary
*For added ease and a rustic smashed potato, I don’t peel the potatoes, although you may if preferred. Also, Yukon gold potatoes provide good flavor and a creamy heft. If you prize light, fluffy mashed potatoes, use up to 50% russets. While peeling is optional with the thinner-skinned Yukon golds, I recommend peeling thicker-skinned russet potatoes.
A few more things…
•While measuring the water in which the potatoes cook may seem unnecessary, it ensures properly salted water that flavors the potatoes while cooking and in a later step. That way the end result is neither too salty nor bland.
•Traditionalists may add a pat of butter to the top, and a sprinkle of Parmesan offers a nice extra. That said, we typically enjoy them just as they are.