- 1 small white onion*, finely diced (~1 cup)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sea or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2½ teaspoons (17g) honey
- 1½ tablespoons (23ml) rice vinegar** (the kind with no added sugar)
Place the onions and scallions in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes, give or take 5 minutes is fine. Drain well. I like to pat with a clean dish towel or paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture. Tip: Blot the bottom of the strainer or sieve too, as water tends to cling to it.
Stir in the honey, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
* White onions, which are widely available and have a papery skin, work well in raw applications. If you don’t have one, I recommend a sweet onion like a Vidalia. A red onion would likely work well in this salsa for use as a burger condiment.
** Rice vinegar is one of the mildest vinegars, and pairs well with the onions. For a bolder flavor, I’ve used apple cider vinegar. Any vinegar will work, the flavor will simply vary from one to the next.