Avocado Egg Salad
Lauren Kelly is a certified nutritionist, not to mention a dear foodie friend of mine. She recently published a comprehensive book on eating wheat free and kindly shared it with me. It took me all of 30 seconds to find the recipe I wanted to make first, and which I have made several times since, tweaking every so slightly and enjoying many ways.
As Lauren says, “You will not miss the mayonnaise that traditional egg salads have when you taste the creaminess of the avocado in this recipe.” The first time I prepared this, I served to my older son as a breakfast wrap, and he actually liked it. (He is 14, so I think this serves as an extra plug for this healthy spin on the traditional recipe!) I found myself snacking on the leftovers by scooping up this chunky salad with celery sticks, and I have since enjoyed it as a dip and a salad on several occasions.
My version has a bit less lemon juice than the original recipe and includes some of the lemon zest for added brightness and lemony flavor without too much tang. I altered the ratios of some of the ingredients as well. Lauren’s recipes are perfect as is, however, and she has a history of solid recipes that are healthy and uncomplicated. She is a working mom of young kids so she knows, as do so many of us, that time is too often at a premium. Her recipes are reliable and doable give people the tools to eat healthier — whether they are watching the numbers on the scale, attempting to eliminate gluten from their diets, or simply trying to fuel their bodies in a healthier way. The best part is, she shows people how to do this without sacrificing anything on the taste scale!
A link to the book is included below. To visit Lauren Kelly Nutrition, click here.
This healthy egg salad is divine in a wrap and equally delicious as a salad. I also enjoy serving it with carrot and celery sticks and eating it as a chunky and super-satisfying dip. When in season, I think a little fresh basil or dill would be delicious!
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek lowfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and a few turns of the pepper mill
- Optional for serving: whole wheat or brown rice tortillas, sliced tomatoes, baby spinach, celery and carrot sticks
- Separate the whites and the yolks of the eggs. Set aside 2 yolks for another use.
- Chop the egg whites.
- In a large bowl, combine the avocado, egg yolks, and yogurt. Mash until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Then mix in the lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the egg whites, celery, and optional onion. Cover and refrigerate, or serve immediately as a sandwich, a wrap, or on a bed of lettuce. I enjoy this as a chunky dip with celery and carrot sticks. It is equally delicious served alongside sliced tomatoes.
Although the color of the avocado will dull somewhat, leftovers will keep overnight.
If you are interested in purchasing a copy of Lauren’s book, simply click here.