Muffin-Cup Barbecue Turkey Meatloaves (Gluten-Free)
This flavorful take on the classic meatloaf was inspired a while back by some leftover homemade barbecue sauce. While I often use dry oats as a binder, you may also experiment with cooked quinoa–even crushed saltines or panko, if you are not concerned about a gluten-free meatloaf.
The addition of barbecue sauce and salsa give this dish a Tex-Mex twist. Choose your preferred level of spiciness with the salsa!
Any leftovers will reheat or freeze well. My kids also like the leftovers made into a meatloaf “burger” on a whole wheat roll. I like them with some lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado piled on top!
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 a medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 a bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup oats (could substitute panko or crushed saltines if not concerned about keeping this recipe gluten-free)
- 1/2 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning (I use a natural, no salt version)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (see above link for my favorite, easy recipe)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and grease a 12-muffin tin.
- Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the onion, celery and pepper in the food processor. (I have a mini chopper I like to use for this.) Pulse until finely chopped, and then add to the ground turkey.
- Add the egg, oats, and steak seasoning to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce, salsa, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the bowl with the turkey and fully incorporate. (I find it easiest to use my hands.)
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin tins and top each loaf with the remaining sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through and slightly browned on top.