Blueberry Crisp (A.K.A. Blueberry Jammie)
When we visit my in-laws at their lake house every summer, one of our favorite activities is blueberry picking. We can literally walk out the door, empty pretzel tub in hand, and pick away. Fresh blueberries on my morning oatmeal is a treat, but Blueberry Jammie makes everyone swoon.
Blueberry Jammie, you ask? Well, this is a version of Blueberry Crisp we hit upon about five years ago, and my mother-in-law literally made it five nights in a row during one summer visit. We just couldn’t get enough. Since she is known as Jammie to her eight grandchildren, she renamed the dessert in her honor…and the name stuck!
The kitchen smells heavenly when this dessert is baking. Top the warm crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for blueberry perfection!
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats (can use quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
- 1/3 cup butter, very soft or melted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place blueberries in an ungreased, 8×8-inch baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon, and salt. (You can use your fingers to combine well.)
- Sprinkle the oat mixture on top of the berries and bake about 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and the blueberries are hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.