If I counted how many times I started my day with overnight no-cook oatmeal cups, well….let’s just say it would be a very big number! I love to quickly whip up a jarful (or several) before I go to bed and have a satisfying breakfast ready and waiting.
Since I am quite fond of pumpkin, it seemed fitting that I develop a seasonal variation brimming with the welcome flavors of fall. Truth be told, I ate quite a lot of this as I honed in on the combination I liked best. I made versions with yogurt and without and tested with varying proportions of oats, liquids, and mix-ins.
Since everyone’s palates are a little different, feel free to start with the following recipe and adjust subsequent batches to your preferred level of sweetness, thickness, and so on. I tend to eat my original recipe as is. With this variation, I’ve taken to a hint of crunch. Typically, I mix in about two tablespoons of granola and, more recently, some dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. While I eat this convenient breakfast cold from the fridge, some of my friends with whom I have shared the recipe warm it lightly in the microwave. Enjoy as you please!
- 1/3 cup (1 ounce) old-fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/3 cup (2 3/4 ounces) milk of choice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) pumpkin puree (may used canned; not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani 0%; may substitute 2%, vanilla, or honey)
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (may use cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Optional mix-ins: 1-2 tablespoons raisins or dried cranberries, 2-3 teaspoons flaked coconut (sweetened or unsweetened as preferred)
- Optional toppings: granola, sunflower seeds, pepitas, or chopped nuts of choice
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl or jar. I often use a 12-ounce jelly or Mason jar. Add optional mix-ins, as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice. Enjoy cold or gently warm, if desired. Oatmeal cups will keep for approximately 3 days in the refrigerator.
Delicious with Coconut Pumpkin Granola!