Avocado Wasabi Sauce
A simple wasabi sauce dresses up grilled tuna beautifully. It’s quick and easy and makes an otherwise unadorned tuna steak special. Since I started adding avocado to my wasabi sauce, I love it ten times more and always find delicious new ways to use any leftovers. (And I no longer wait for just tuna to make it!) What’s more, this speedy sauce has been a hit with company and even my kids.
Spoon over Asian Tomato Grilled Tuna (recipe coming soon) or any other fish you like. I also loved it mashed into a baked potato or stirred into rice. Come to think of it, I think it would be pretty fabulous on steak or grilled chicken. (Can you tell I like this one?) It is a rather healthy recipe, although you wouldn’t guess it by the creaminess and flavor.
Don’t hesitate to double the recipe. You’ll likely find plenty of ways to use any leftovers!
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani non-fat for this)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the wasabi powder in the lime juice. Scoop the avocado out of the shell and into the bowl. Mash well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until completely blended. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Will keep several days stored, covered, in the fridge. This recipe yields about one cup of sauce and may be doubled easily.
I have tried this recipe using all Greek yogurt but find the mayo balances the flavors nicely.