Egg in a Hole
Cooking something fun and easy can truly start the day off on the right foot. Though my kids light up when served this classic breakfast, know to many as “Toad in a Hole,” my husband and I like it quite a lot, too!
Growing up, we always called over easy eggs “dippy eggs,” and we loved to dip our toast in the goopy centers. This simple egg dish is much the same, except the egg is cooked right in the toast and the cut-out center becomes the dipper. We like to sprinkle a little sharp cheddar cheese over the top. My husband is in heaven if I cook bacon first and then cook the egg and bread in the bacon grease. I actually like the buttery version a little better. Olive oil may certainly be used for a healthier version.
Do you have another name for this classic breakfast?
Whether you call it Egg in a Hole, Toad in a Hole, Egg in a Basket or Egg in a Boat, this easy breakfast is sure to delight. Serve with a side of fruit for a wholesome, satisfying start to the day.
- 1 slice of your favorite kind of bread
- 2 teaspoons butter (could substitute olive oil)
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: your favorite shredded cheese (we like cheddar)
- With the rim of a glass or a biscuit cutter, press a hole in the center of the bread.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Distribute the melted butter over the bottom of the pan, place the piece of bread in the skillet, and crack the egg into the center of the hole. Place the cut-out circle of bread in the skillet, too. (As an option, you may choose to spread softened butter on each side of the bread.)
- Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper. When the egg is slightly set and the bread is golden on the bottom, flip to the other side. Flip the circle of bread, too.
- Sprinkle the other side of the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
- Move the piece of toast around the skillet, soaking up any additional butter. Cook until the yolk feels soft or is cooked to your liking.
- Serve with a side of fruit and the circle of toast for dipping!