For years, I have been making this smoothie to satisfy my never-ending penchant for ice cream. Over time, I have tweaked the recipe and still often switch it up. I have made plain milk and chocolate versions of this decadent-but-healthy shake. Sometimes, I make a chocolate and fruit combination; sometimes, the chocolate-peanut butter mix calls my name.
This shake is the perfect drink after a workout or as a liquid lunch on a warm day. A satisfying dessert–and one that I like to make thick enough to eat with a spoon–it truly does satisfy like my favorite ice cream. It actually helped me survive the year I gave up ice cream for Lent! I will give you the basic version and then offer adjustments…
- 8 ounces chocolate almond milk (or soy or regular chocolate milk)
- 1/2 a frozen banana
- 6-8 frozen cherries
- 1/2-1 scoop protein powder of choice (I typically use the chocolate flavor for this)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, a handful of greens
- Add everything except ice to the blender and stir with a spoon to incorporate the powder (this keeps it from poofing up and sticking all over the blender.) Blend well.
- Add ice cubes and blend until creamy.
- Sometimes, I make this shake with plain coconut milk and add two rounded tablespoons of cocoa powder and a packet of stevia to achieve a good chocolate flavor and sweetness. You could do this with any plain milk if you don’t have the chocolate variety on hand. An added benefit of this option is all the healthy anti-oxidants contained in the cocoa powder.
- Another delicious and high-protein option is to swap the cherries out for a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.
- I like the shake to be thick enough to eat with a spoon. If you prefer thinner, feel free to use less ice or add more milk.