A long time favorite that’s cold and creamy with deep chocolate flavor and plenty of protein – with chocolate peanut butter option!
For years, I’ve been making this smoothie to satisfy my never-ending penchant for ice cream. Over time, I have tweaked the recipe and still switch it up from time to time.
I have made plain milk and chocolate versions of this decadent-but-healthy shake, although chocolate makes the smoothie especially delicious – and my son’s coaches recommend it as a perfect recovery drink.
Sometimes, I make a chocolate and fruit combination. Other times, the chocolate-peanut butter variation calls my name.
This shake is the perfect drink after a workout or as a light and refreshing lunch on a warm day. It’s a satisfying dessert as well – one that I like to make thick enough to eat with a spoon – it truly does satisfy like my favorite ice cream. It actually helped me survive the year I gave up ice cream for Lent!
- 8 ounces chocolate almond milk (I use Silk; could use dairy or soy as preferred)
- ½ a frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 6-8 frozen cherries*
- ½ – 1 scoop protein powder of choice (I use chocolate)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and/or a handful of baby spinach
Add everything except ice to the blender and stir with a spoon to incorporate the powder (this keeps it from poofing up and sticking all over the blender.) Blend well.
Add ice cubes and blend until creamy.
* Another delicious and high-protein option is to swap the cherries out for a tablespoon or two of peanut butter.
I like the shake to be thick enough to eat with a spoon. If you prefer thinner, feel free to use less ice or add more milk.