This salad dressing sounds a little crazy. Yet the strange combination of two basic ingredients really works, providing a sweet/tangy edge to a simple mixture of fresh greens. A few well chosen add-ins really make this salad shine. Everything can be prepped ahead and tossed at the very last minute. Perfect paired with a protein of choice for an easy weeknight meal…yet special enough for company. (It’s rather good with pizza, too!)
- Mixed greens of your choice
- Prosciutto, sauteed until crispy (see notes)
- Blue cheese, crumbled
- Red onion, slivered
- Equal parts white wine vinegar and sugar (A quarter cup of each will give you enough for multiple salads.)
Heat until sugar dissolves. Keeps for several weeks in fridge.
Place salad ingredients in bowl, drizzle with dressing, and toss.
- Go lightly on the salad dressings. You can always add more. Particularly with a good homemade dressing, less dressing will deliver the flavor while not weighing down the greens.
- The prosciutto may also be baked in a 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes or until crispy. Just watch at the end so that it doesn’t burn. As yet another option, the prosciutto may be grilled over high heat for 1-2 minutes, depending on thinly it has been cut. Prosciutto can be prepped up to several days in advance and stored in a sealed plastic bag in fridge. (To re-crisp if needed, briefly place in a warm oven.)
- Optional add-ins include quartered button or baby portobello mushrooms, halved tomato grapes, and/or toasted pine nuts or walnuts.