Summer Salad with Lime Honey Chicken and Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
A hearty salad with lots of flavor and texture is my idea of a fabulous dinner. What’s more, this type of dinner can be healthy and light yet altogether satisfying.
Preparing your own dressing in advance plays a big role in making this meal delicious. The addition of Greek yogurt is a natural way to lighten the dressing and enhance the flavor at the same time. Typically, I use this dressing on my favorite strawberry salad. But I am finding new ways to enjoy it, and this salad tops the list!
While Lime Honey Chicken is a perfect topping and will really make this salad a meal, plain leftover grilled or baked chicken–even rotisserie chicken–will work well, too.
If you want to have a little fun with this recipe, sear the peaches and onion slices on the grill for a minute or two to concentrate their flavors a bit. I have also made this salad with avocado instead of blueberries–you may grill avocados, too–and pistachios in place of the almonds. Feel free to mix it up as you wish.
- Honey Lime Chicken, cut into strips or bite-size piece (chicken tenders work well, too)
- peaches, sliced
- red onion, slivered
- almonds, sliced or slivered
- fresh thyme, chopped
- romaine lettuce or greens of choice
- Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing with Greek Yogurt (recipe to follow)
- Layer the fruit and onion over the greens.
- Top with the chicken, and then sprinkle with the almonds and thyme.
- Drizzle dressing overtop and toss.
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani 0% fat)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup non-fat milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons tarragon or white wine vinegar
- Whisk all ingredients together
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator. Will keep for approximately a week.