It isn’t often that a meatless meal will satisfy my houseful of boys, but the potato in this simple frittata lends a satisfying heartiness while the feta contributes a delightful flavor boost. Mix in a little zucchini and onion and you have a filling, one-pan meal that can be prepared with ingredients easily kept on hand.
I often make frittatas for a quick dinner and serve with seasonal veggies or a quick salad on the side. Whether enjoyed hot out of the oven or at room temperature, this protein-packed vegetarian meal makes welcome leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day.
Feel free to prep up to two hours in advance and allow to sit at room temperature until ready to eat.
For other delicious frittata recipe. simply click on the following recipe titles:
- Olive oil for the pan
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 6 ounces)
- 2 cups peeled and shredded potato (1 large), could also use thawed, frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Optional garnishes: fresh basil, parsley, or thyme; additional feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini and potatoes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the zucchini and potatoes and sauté until tender and beginning to turn slightly golden, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Depending on the surface of your skillet, you may need to add another tablespoon or two of olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Pour in the egg mixture and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir to disperse the vegetables evenly, and then allow to cook without stirring until the bottom and edges are beginning to set, about 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese evenly over the top, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until just set in the middle. Exact cooking time will depend on the oven and how "set" your eggs were before baking, so check a few minutes early and add a few minutes if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and additional feta, if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.