This dish has it all…crunchy veggies, savory protein, satisfying noodles, and a flavorful sauce which provides exceptional flavor. Of course, there’s the fun factor, too: Roll it all up in a big lettuce leaf and grab a napkin. A thin, vermicelli rice noodle is traditional in this type of recipe. Sometimes, I mix it up with a curly, brown rice fusilli.
- 3 ounces rice vermicelli, or other rice noodle, cooked according to package directions 1
- 2 ounces ground beef, grass-fed if possible
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup chopped mint (or flat-leaf parsley)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- large lettuce leaves (Romaine or Butter work well)
- 1/4 cup lightly salted peanuts, chopped
n large skillet, brown beef and onion over medium-high heat. Stir in noodles, carrots, cucumbers, pepper, and mint. Cook until heated through but vegetables are still crisp. Combine lime juice, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl and pour over beef mixture. Mix well. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and spoon onto lettuce leaves.