Last summer, a friend of mine offered me one week of her farm share as her family was leaving town and wouldn’t be home to use the food. Included in the stash of colorful summer veggies was a bunch of fresh spearmint, some crisp greens, and a box of plump, juicy blackberries.
My mind immediately created this salad, which has become a summertime favorite. It is light and flavorful and will compliment most any protein. The dressing offers a burst of citrus and a hint of honey while allowing the flavors of the fresh produce to shine.
- greens of choice
- fresh blackberries
- fresh mint, slivered
- crumbled feta or good goat cheese
- slivered or sliced almonds or chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice (I often use half and half)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of the pepper mill
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Whisk together all vinagrette ingredients until well-blended.
Toss with arugula, mint, and blackberries–just enough to lightly coat the greens. Serve topped with crumbled cheese and almonds.