Saving the tops of the potatoes from the Baked Egg in a Potato dinner is such an easy way to whip up these yummy treats but you can certainly make quick work of them by simply baking or microwaving a few potatoes at the last minute.
While I topped ours with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar, some leftover bacon, and left it at that, you could change it up and serve the cooked skins with sour cream, salsa, scallions, or any other toppings that appeal.
Serve as a crowd-pleasing appetizer or with a big salad for an easy, healthy dinner.
Reserve remaining insides for another use, like Scallion Potato Salmon Cakes.
- top quarter of a baked potato, cut horizontally (see note)
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1-2 teaspoons per skin)
- a few pieces of bacon, crumbled (about 1 teaspoon per skin)
- optional toppings for serving: sour cream, salsa, scallions, black olives
Place potato skins, skin side down, on a baking sheet and top with cheese and bacon. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- If you don’t have leftovers, start with whole potatoes and bake or microwave until done. Quarter the potatoes and scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch layer on the skins.
Baked Egg in a Potato is an easy and unexpectedly delicious dinner, but it also makes a satisfying savory breakfast.