One of the first recipes I copied from my grandmother was for a simple Waldorf Salad. I still have that 3×5 card and still enjoy a big bowl of it from time to time, with its hearty crunch and tart-sweet pairing of flavors. With my love of kale, I developed a new recipe, loosely based on the classic version. So satisfying, it would be a fabulous vegetarian main dish while complimenting almost any protein as a side. I love it for lunch, too. The dressing for this salad is genius, blending sweet and savory whole foods into a delicious, creamy dressing that pairs beautifully with the bitter crunch of kale and sweet bite of apple.
Kale Waldorf Salad
- 4 cups packed raw kale, chopped (Dinosaur or Lacinato kale work well)
- 1 large sweet red apple, chopped and divided (Honeycrisp and Fuji are great choices)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cups toasted pecans, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- 1/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons water (plus more for thinning dressing, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- sunflower seeds and blue cheese (see photo caption below for options)
Place kale in a large bowl. Add half of the apple, all of the celery, 1/4 cup pecans, and 1/4 cup raisins. Place the remaining apple in a blender or food processor along with the remaining 1/4 cup pecans, 2 tablespoons raisins, yogurt, Dijon, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, salt and pepper. Puree until combined and slightly thick, adding an extra tablespoon or so of water if needed to thin. Pour over kale salad and toss to distribute. Garnish with sunflower seeds and blue cheese, if desired. I love a hefty sprinkle of both!
Tried this recipe?Post a picture on instagram and we will repost it! Mention @fountainavenuekitchen or tag #fountainavenuekitchen!
The Fountain Avenue Kitchen https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/
Pingback: Waldorf Salad with Honey Yogurt Dressing | Let's Have Mixture
Pingback: Vegetable Healthy Recipe Round Up |
Beautiful! I too, have always loved Waldolf Salad and my family likes it, too. I just saw a Kale Waldorf Salad at Trader Joe’s and am excited to try making one at home!
Thank you…I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, Mary!