Fresh peas in the summer are a treat. Happily, I have found that frozen peas can truly be a taste of summer — bright green, firm, and sweet. I love them plain, and I adore them all smushed up as they are in this recipe. A delectable base for my Broiled Salmon with Scallion Salsa, it would pair equally well with white fish and most any protein for that matter.
- 1 16-ounce package frozen peas (I use Cascadian Farms organic peas)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt and several grinds of the pepper mill
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cream (could substitute milk)
- Bring peas to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Add olive oil, cream, salt, and pepper. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher. You could also puree in a food processor, but I think the masher does the job and requires less clean up!