Our love of peach tea began when I started canning peaches with a manageable small-batch recipe. There’s always some simple syrup leftover, but this leftover syrup is not just plain old simple syrup. No siree! It’s peach infused!
Of course, I can’t just pour something that special down the drain, so I make iced tea using the fragrant, fruity syrup as the sweetener. The rest of my family enjoys this refreshing drink as much as I do, so I wanted to find a way to create the same flavor, even when I wasn’t canning peaches. Turns out, it’s super easy and every bit as delicious. And it’s okay to fall in love with the recipe; after peach season has come and gone, frozen peaches work every bit as well.
Yields 1+ quart.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (or 12 ounces frozen peaches)
- 3 standard-size black tea bags
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups ice cubes, plus additional for serving
- For the peach simple syrup: Add the water, sugar, and peaches to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Set the pan aside, and let the syrup cool completely. Strain out the peach slices (save for ice cream, smoothies, etc.--it's also the perfect amount for [Peach Swirl Baked Oatmeal|http://fountainavenuekitchen.com/peach-swirl-baked-oatmeal/]!), and chill the simple syrup. I like to transfer to a jar; it will keep for approximately a week in the fridge.
- For the black tea: Pour the 2 cups boiling water over the 3 standard-size tea bags. (I often use good ol' Lipton.) Brew 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bags, and immediately add the 3 cups ice cubes, stirring until melted. Transfer to a pitcher or quart-size jar, and refrigerate.
- To serve: (Option 1) Fill a glass with ice, and then add the cold tea, leaving room for the peach syrup. Add the syrup to taste, stir, and enjoy. (Option 2) Add 1/2 cup peach syrup, or to taste, to the pitcher of chilled tea. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy over ice.
As an option, use the leftover peach-infused simple syrup from Small Batch Canned Peaches…and have the peaches to enjoy over the colder months.
Peach Swirl Baked Oatmeal is a delicious way to start your day…and the perfect way to uses the leftover peaches from the simple syrup!