Tropical Watermelon Slushy
My family loves slushies! A make-at-home version is so tasty and easy and, with some chopped watermelon stored in the freezer, can be ready at a moment’s notice. The all-natural sweetness is an added bonus.
As an aside, the watermelon tea towel in the corner of the photo was given to me by my childhood friend, Kathy, at my bridal shower 19 years ago. It is well worn, and I now use it sparingly to “save” it. Kathy’s family always had an extensive watermelon collection and, to this day, I associate all things watermelon with Kathy. Her family is from Greece, and their last name is Greek for the word “watermelon!” How cool is that?
I like these slushies with the flavor of coconut water. My kids prefer pineapple or white grape juice. Choose what sounds appealing to you. For an adult version, a little Malibu rum or vodka is a fun twist.
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, frozen
- 2 1/4 cups coconut water, pineapple juice or white grape juice
- Place half of the watermelon in the blender with about 2 cups of the liquid and blend.
- Add the remaining watermelon and blend until smooth. Add the remaining 1/4 cup liquid to reach your preferred consistency.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!