I still have this recipe written on a piece of scrap paper from my grandmother’s kitchen. Yes, that would be her kitchen–the original Fountain Avenue Kitchen!
A lot of blogs are thrilled to hit 1,000 “likes” on Facebook. I decided that my magic number will be 925–her old street number. But I digress…This has been a favorite recipe for years and turns leftover chicken into a quick, crowd-pleasing dinner. I have modified her original recipe slightly to make it healthier without sacrificing any of the taste. I think she would approve!
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% Chobani this time; fat free works fine, too.)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup potato chips, crumbled (see note)
- Combine all ingredients except cheese and potato chips. Pile lightly into 1 1/2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with cheese, then with chips. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes or until heated through. Check after 10 minutes and cover lightly with foil if chips are starting to brown.
- I crunch about three-quarters of one of those single-serving Pringles containers, saving a few whole ones to stick in the individuals servings as a fun garnish.
Chicken Chip Bake is an especially easy dinner if you use leftovers from another delicious yet simple meal: Slow Roasted Whole Chicken.