Not every actor in a movie can have a starring role. Strong supporting characters are integral to the success of any movie—or play or television show for that matter.
That’s how I view this sauce. You wouldn’t want to eat it by the spoonful, but add a spoonful to the top of your favorite simple seafood recipe, and you’ve got a potential award winner!
The horseradish is what, I think, makes this sauce really sing. It’s bright, zesty, and perfectly suited to “Party Salmon,” a recipe that I highly recommend adding to any and every holiday buffet–as well as your regular dinner rotation. So stay tuned, but in the meantime, keep this sauce recipe as one of your supporting players.
Yields 3/4 cup.
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (nonfat is fine; may use 2%, whole or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated onion
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed (may substitute 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. I add a pinch or two (1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon) of each.
Cover and store in the refrigerator. If possible, allow at least an hour or two for the flavors to meld prior to serving.
This simple sauce adds a creamy burst of flavor to Party Salmon,which is an easy entertaining staple. Yet it’s ease, flavor, and health appeal make it a popular weeknight meal in our house. Plus it can be prepared in advance. 😊