My mom is a big fan of Mexican food and is great at devising easy recipes. She has also gotten rather adept at providing tasty gluten-free options since my dad had to give up wheat flour a few years ago. We made this flavorful dish last night, using a rotisserie chicken for a speedy prep. The kids couldn’t get enough and the one remaining piece was history before today’s lunch!
Mom's Famous Taco Pie
- breast and thigh meat from one rotisserie chicken (or three cooked chicken breasts), shredded or chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican-style shredded cheese
- salsa, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream
Brown onion in a large skillet. Add chili powder and chicken and cook for two more minutes. Add tomatoes and corn, cooking five more minutes or until heated through.
Spoon about one cup of the chicken mixture into a 2-quart round casserole. Cover with three tortillas, overlapping or cutting to fit dish, as necessary. Top with two cups of the chicken mixture and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Then layer the remaining three tortillas and the last of the chicken mixture.
Cover with foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and return to the oven, uncovered, for five more minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve with the optional garnishes, as desired.
- May substitute 1 to 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey or beef for the chicken. Cook the onion until soft, then add the ground meat, brown, and proceed as directed.
Tried this recipe?Post a picture on instagram and we will repost it! Mention @fountainavenuekitchen or tag #fountainavenuekitchen!
The Fountain Avenue Kitchen https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/
I totally have to make this. Serious awesome sauce here.