Grilling is the perfect way to get a great dinner on the table quickly. Marinades are wonderful, but sometimes I don’t think far enough in advance for them. With a salsa, the meat can be grilled with a simple sprinkling of salt and pepper with the salsa spooned over at the end. If you do make it in advance, the salsa will just get better as the flavors blend. I have developed some of my favorite salsas using random ingredients that I’ve had on hand. I created this one to go with grilled rosemary lamb chops, thinking of the mint flavor that compliments lamb so well. The flavors would be especially delicious on pork, too–and chicken, fish…well, almost any meat hot off the grill!
- 2 cups pineapple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1/2 -1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- sea or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (I used a little over 1/4 teaspoon of salt)
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Check for seasoning then cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve chilled or at room temperature.