Graham cracker crusts can be a crunchy, delicious part of an ice cream or pudding pie. But if you are gluten-intolerant, a graham crust can make those desserts off limits.
For my father’s recent birthday, I created a version he could enjoy using almond meal. I think my kids loved the nutty, crunchy crust even more than he did! This is a great option for any dessert in which you wish to play up the nutty flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal (I have better results with almond meal as opposed to finer almond flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (see note)
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk the dry ingredients together. Then add butter or coconut oil and water.
Knead dough until well combined. Then press the dough into a greased 9-inch pie plate, working the mixture up the sides.
Bake 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely.
- You may omit the sugar if you wish to use this crust for a savory recipe.