On a busy weeknight, meals that can be mixed up in one bowl or prepared in advance are especially helpful. This savory, protein-rich baked egg dish fills both of those requirements. It tastes great, too, and my kids have no idea that cottage cheese provides a good part of the appealing texture. They just notice the great flavor provided by their favorite Mexican-blend cheese and the zip of the jalapeños.
With the busy holiday season in mind, my friends at Sargento are asking home cooks to share how quality ingredients (like real cheese!) make the recipes they cook taste great as part of a Facebook recipe contest.
The Facebook recipe contest winner will receive $2,000 toward kitchen supplies and ingredients for the perfect holiday meal, plus a year’s supply of Sargento Shredded Cheese.
To enter, home cooks should submit an original recipe and photo of a dish featuring a Sargento Shredded Cheese variety, plus an explanation of why using real, fresh-tasting ingredients like Sargento Shredded Cheese matters to them.
The contest is underway, and the winner will be announced on December 8, 2014. Visit Facebook.com/SargentoCheese to enter. Good luck!
Yields 6 servings.
- 10 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and moisture squeezed out (see notes)
- 1 cup ham (about 4 ounces; thinly sliced or chipped and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I use 2% small curd)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or sharp cheddar (I like Sargento’s Authentic Mexican)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, well drained and sliced (optional; fresh may also be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Optional toppings: green onions, jalapeños, chopped avocado, and/or salsa
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish or 10-inch round ovenproof skillet.
Break the eggs into a large bowl, and whisk or beat well. Add the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the optional toppings, and thoroughly combine.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and, if necessary, use a fork to evenly distribute the ingredients. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs have just set in the middle.
Remove from the oven, and serve as is or with optional toppings.
- Fresh spinach or fresh or frozen broccoli may be substituted. If using fresh, blanch or steam under tender, and then squeeze out the liquid. To thoroughly remove the moisture, I like to wring the spinach or broccoli out in a clean tea towel. This makes quick work of the job and works like a charm.
To enter, visit Sargento’s Facebook page.
You may choose among more than 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts. Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese.