When I need staples like toilet paper or paper towels, I make a trip to Costco, and I invariably find a few other items that weren’t on my list! Last time, I saw a bag labeled “sprouted grain trio” which was a mix of grains, including lentils, that cooks in five minutes. Grains that are sprouted are reported to be better for you. Plus I adore lentils–which are packed with protein–so I added the bag to my cart.
I now use these sprouted grains as I would lentils, in this case creating a warm salad with roasted vegetables. The Indian spices give the dish a wonderful flavor and smell amazing as the veggies roast. It’s an easy meal that can be adapted to your taste in terms of the vegetables and the seasoning.
- 1 cup green or brown lentils or sprouted bean mix, cooked in stock or water, according to package directions (see note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into long, 1/2″-thick wedges
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise and cut into 1/2″-inch thick wedges
- 4 ounces baby portabellas (or mushroom of choice), halved
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of the pepper mill
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mixed greens and a few lemon slices for serving
Toss cooked lentils with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Lentils typically cook in about 20 minutes. For the sprouted bean mix, simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat, and let sit, covered, for 10 more minutes. With either, drain any unabsorbed liquid. Cooking in chicken stock or broth will add great flavor.
Mix the spices, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. On a large, oiled baking sheet, toss the veggies with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the spice mixture overtop, and toss to coat evenly. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through and slightly caramelized. (I checked after 20 minutes, tossed them around a bit, and took them out after 25 minutes.)
- I like to put the warm lentils over mixed greens then top with a pile of roasted veggies and a slice of lemon.