When I need staples like toilet paper or paper towels, I make a trip to Costco, and I invariably find a few other items that weren’t on my list! Last time, I saw a bag labeled “sprouted grain trio” which was a mix of grains, including lentils, that cooks in five minutes. Grains that are sprouted are reported to be better for you. Plus I adore lentils–which are packed with protein–so I added the bag to my cart.
I now use these sprouted grains as I would lentils, in this case creating a warm salad with roasted vegetables. The Indian spices give the dish a wonderful flavor and smell amazing as the veggies roast. It’s an easy meal that can be adapted to your taste in terms of the vegetables and the seasoning.
- 1 cup green or brown lentils or sprouted bean mix, cooked in stock or water, according to package directions (see note)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into long, 1/2"-thick wedges
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise and cut into 1/2"-inch thick wedges
- 4 ounces baby portabellas (or mushroom of choice), halved
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of the pepper mill
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mixed greens and a few lemon slices for serving
- Toss cooked lentils with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lentils typically cook in about 20 minutes. For the sprouted bean mix, simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat, and let sit, covered, for 10 more minutes. With either, drain any unabsorbed liquid. Cooking in chicken stock or broth will add great flavor.
- Mix the spices, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. On a large, oiled baking sheet, toss the veggies with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the spice mixture overtop, and toss to coat evenly. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through and slightly caramelized. (I checked after 20 minutes, tossed them around a bit, and took them out after 25 minutes.)
- I like to put the warm lentils over mixed greens then top with a pile of roasted veggies and a slice of lemon.