While attending a dinner a few months ago where my mother received a well-deserved award for her many years of service to our local Boys & Girls Club, a family friend approached and told me of his wife’s incredible salad dressing. “Nancy always has a jar of her special dressing in the fridge and everybody just loves it”, he reported.
So, when Nancy wandered over a few minutes later, I, of course, had to inquire further. She went on to say that she has been making this dressing for countless years and confirmed that people always seem to love it. When I asked her what sort of salads she uses this special dressing on, she replied simply: “Everything!”
Note: This dressing has become a regular in our house. A bottle kept on hand facilitates delicious salads in minutes and pairs well with Blueberry and Avocado Salad, Strawberry and Spinach Salad, Fall Salad and Spring Millet Salad. I am also thinking a speedy broccoli salad would be terrific with this dressing.
Most recently, my family has been enjoying Nancy’s dressing on this delightful Autumn Salad.
Nancy keeps a jar in her fridge, using it as her go-to salad dressing. I find it well suited for a basic spinach and strawberry salad and almost anything with fruit, nuts, and cheese. Moreover, the slight sweetness perfectly balances bitter greens and vegetables such as radishes.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar; plain white vinegar may be used)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salad oil (olive, avocado, grapeseed, and canola oil, all work well)
- Mix all the ingredients in blender until thick and well blended, about a minute.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- I also mixed a batch with a whisk after mincing the onions very finely. This is a fine option if you do not have a blender.
- The dressing will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. However, the recipe may be cut in half, if desired.