Sweet peaches, tangy raspberries, creamy yogurt, and hearty oats come together quickly in this wholesome, prep-ahead breakfast that’s worth waking up for!
Sweet, juicy peaches, tangy raspberries, creamy yogurt, and hearty oats. This is the recipe that sold my kids on oats several years ago–and eating them cold no less!
Fruity flavors lead the way in this convenient, make-ahead meal, while the oats provide a hearty foundation. The addition of creamy yogurt supplies filling protein and makes this seasonal breakfast reminiscent of the classic dessert.
For those who haven’t actually tried it, Peach Melba is a dessert comprised of peaches, raspberry sauce, and vanilla ice cream. The dish was invented in 1892 (some say 1893) by the French chef Auguste Escoffier at the Savoy Hotel in London to honor Australian soprano Nellie Melba.
The funny thing is, I rarely opt for fruity elements in my ice cream, but I work them into my breakfast almost every day. There’s something so sublime about a perfectly ripe, sweet, juicy peach; the berries add a hint of tang and appealing color.
Day to day, I gravitate towards plain or vanilla yogurt, but raspberry yogurt is the key to achieving the intended flavor in this make-ahead meal. I’ve tried it with vanilla yogurt, adding extra berries, and it’s not bad. However, for a true peach-melba moment, seek out the trusty tang of raspberry yogurt.
Nearly every night, I take a few minutes to meal prep for the following morning; the happy result is that I tend to eat a healthier breakfast and truly enjoy it. This recipe fits that mold, offering quick, night-before preparation for smooth sailing in the morning.
Stirring the peaches in the night before encourages their flavor to really permeate the oat mixture. Because we love our fresh peaches, I almost always cut another in the morning to use as a topping. It’s hard to add too much fresh fruit–especially this time of year! 🍑
- 1 cup (96 grams) old-fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup (240 ml) raspberry yogurt (I often use low-fat smooth & creamy Stonyfield — choose your favorite variety)
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk of choice (we like Silk’s unsweetened coconut-almond blend)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) chia seeds
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons (31- 42 grams) honey*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large or 2 small peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
- Optional toppings: additional chopped peaches; red raspberries; chopped walnuts or slivered almonds; shredded coconut
The night before: Add all of the ingredients except the peaches and optional toppings to a large bowl and mix well. Fold in the peaches, cover the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, portion into individual bowls and serve with additional diced peaches and/or toppings of choice.
- *Depending on personal preference and the variety of milk and yogurt used, you may wish to forego the sweetener or adjust up or down to taste.