In my family, we have those who adore sweet potatoes and those who prefer the white varieties. So, I often make oven fries two ways to please everyone. (I like them both!) This addictive spin on an oven fry delivers a creamy inside and a little crunch on the outside. The prep may be done in advance; then simply bake just before mealtime.
- small new potatoes and/or sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- dried rosemary
- f using sweet potatoes, cut into rounds approximately 3/4-inch thick. Leave small new potatoes whole and cut larger ones in half. Boil potatoes until fork tender. This took me about 15 minutes once the water came to a boil but may take slightly more or less time, depending on size of potatoes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Place boiled potatoes on a well-oiled baking sheet. With a potato masher or serving fork, press down on potatoes to mash slightly. Rotate the masher or fork and flatten some more. (Sort of like you're making the marks on a peanut butter cookie!)
- With a pastry brush, generously coat the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crush the dried rosemary in your fingers and sprinkle lightly over potatoes.
- Place the baking sheet on the top oven rack. Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are golden and crispy.