My brother’s wife clued me in on this quick and easy meal years ago, and it’s been a favorite in our house ever since. My husband and kids love the taste. I have added appreciation for the speed and convenience. And if you’re on the fence about making my recent recipe for Baked Refried Dip, there’s a way to incorporate any leftovers into this recipe.
The easy recipe uses a tortilla as the crust and refried beans in place of pizza sauce. (For extra flavor, I simply substitute leftover bean dip for the refried beans.) After a sprinkling of cheese and a quick crisp in the oven, the personal-size pizzas are loaded with shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado, and any other taco-type toppings you enjoy. It’s a pizza-taco-salad hybrid that’s surprisingly tasty.
This gem of a recipe has rescued me on many a busy weeknight over the years. You can opt for a fork and knife, but pizza is finger food after all. So feel free to use your hands, folding it taco-style if you like.
- Corn tortillas (6-inch diameter; sprouted* or regular)
- Refried beans (about 1/4 cup per tortilla; canned are fine; Baked Refried Bean Dip works really well, too)
- Shredded cheese (Mexican blend is great, and we enjoy sharp cheddar, too)
- Topping suggestions: shredded lettuce (I like to very thinly slice a crisp Romaine heart); diced bell peppers; diced tomatoes and/or salsa or taco sauce; chopped avocado or guacamole; sliced black olives; sour cream or plain Greek yogurt; sliced scallions; chopped fresh cilantro, etc.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the desired number of tortillas on a baking sheet for 4-5 minutes or until slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and spread the tortillas with the refried beans. Sprinkle with an even layer of cheese. Return to the oven for another 4 minutes or until beans are heated through and the cheese is melted. Top with lettuce, salsa, and additional toppings of choice.
- Sprouted corn tortillas can be found in the frozen section of many grocery stores. Their texture is slightly heartier and chewier than regular corn tortillas. I’ve used an option by Food for Life, and the only ingredients are organic sprouted corn, water, sea salt, and lime.
Both the pizzas and the dip offer an explosion of flavor and texture. The pizzas make a speedy all-in-one meal and are a filling vegetarian option, too.