Some time ago, I shared a recipe that was essentially a speedy solution to a missing ingredient. When I found myself without the ingredients needed to fill the intended recipe–sort of a quiche in a crispy, cheesy potato crust–I made the crust as planned and filled it with what I had on hand. Everyone here loved it, and I’ve made this improvised meal several times since.
Because this crust is an excellent alternative to a traditional flour-based crust (and because I am soon going to share the meal I intended to make that evening some time ago), I thought it worth sharing as a recipe all by itself. Once you see the various filling options I have devised, you may like to use this recipe as a foundation for your own savory creations.
How would you fill this crust?
Yields 1 9-inch round crust
- 3 cups frozen, shredded (not cubed) hash brown potatoes, thawed and moisture removed (see notes)
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, followed by the hash browns. Mix well.
- Press the hash brown mixture evenly onto the bottom and all the way up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until beginning to turn golden brown.
- Use as a crust for egg and quiche recipes or other savory dishes.
- It is best to measure the potatoes while they are still frozen, as they will squish down once thawed. To thaw quickly, place the potatoes in a colander and run warm water over them. For a crisp, golden crust, be sure to squeeze the excess moisture out of the potatoes no matter which way you thaw them. For most effective removal of excess water, I like to wring them out in a clean tea towel.
This easy egg scramble started as a way to deal with a kitchen oversight and turned into a much-loved meal. Leftovers are delicious gently reheated. For a tasty and quick breakfast sandwich, rewarm a piece and serve in a toasted regular or mini bagel. Extra cheese optional.
Potato Crusted Broccoli and Bacon Frittata is another delicious meal that uses this crust.